France's Sylvain Chavanel, of the Omega Pharma team, won the sixth and penultimate stage of the Paris-Nice race on Saturday, while Australia' Richie Porte, of Team Sky, held on to the overall lead. Chavanel pipped Belgium's Philippe Gilbert and Jose Joaquin Rojas of Spain in a sprint finish on Nice's famous waterfront Promenade des Anglais. Porte retains a 32-second lead from American Andrew Talansky in the overall standings, with Chavanel third at 42 seconds, level with Lieuwe Westra of the Netherlands.
Sunday's final stage is a 9.6km time-trial up to the Col-d'Eze. Porte had said Friday he was confident of seeing out overall victory on Sunday, although Chavanel, the French time-trial champion, could still have a say.
Paris–Nice Stage 6
1. Sylvain Chavanel (FRA/Omega Pharma) 5:14:23
2. Philippe Gilbert (BEL/BMC) s.t
3. Jose Joaquin Rojas (ESP/MOV) s.t
4. Samuel Dumoulin (FRA/ALM) s.t.
5. Tony Gallopin (FRA/RSH) s.t
6. Julien Simon (FRA/SOJ) s.t
7. Borut Bozic (SLO/AST) s.t
8. Heinrich Haussler (AUS/IAM) s.t
9. Jonathan Hivert (FRA/SOJ) s.t
10. Alberto Losada (ESP/KAT) s.t.
General Classification After Stage 6
1. Richie Porte (AUS/SKY) 29:40:31
2. Andrew Talansky (USA/GRM) @ .32
3. Sylvain Chavanel (FRA/OPQ) @ .42
4. Lieuwe Westra (NED/VAC) @ s.t.
5. Jean Christophe Peraud (FRA/ALM) @ .49
6. Tejay Van Garderen (USA/BMC) @ .52
7. Peter Velits (SVK/OPQ) @ .53
8. Simon Spilak (SLO/KAT) @ s.t.
9. Diego Ulissi (ITA/LAM) @ .54
10. Andriy Grivko (UKR/AST) @ 1:06