Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
May 24, 2015 – Race leader Alberto Contador held off the threat of rival Fabio Aru’s Astana team on the 15th stage of the Giro d’Italia, won by Mikel Landa on Sunday, to tighten his grip on the pink jersey.
Contador came over the finish line of the 165 km ride from Marostica to Madonna Di Campiglio five seconds behind Landa after Aru failed to take any time from the Spaniard on the first day of climbing in the Dolomites.
Astana had several riders in the front group for the final climb to Madonna di Campiglio, the scene of Marco Pantani’s infamous exclusion from the race in 1999, but Contador was impervious to their attempts to shake him up.
Contador, who is bidding to become the first man since deceased Italian Pantani in 1998 to complete the Giro d’Italia-Tour de France double in the same year, even stretched his lead over Aru thanks to time bonuses for his third place finish behind Landa.
He now leads Aru by 2min 35sec, with Andrey Amadao of the Movistar team still in third place but dropping to 4:19 off the pace.
On Monday the peloton will enjoy their second and final rest day of the race before tackling arguably the hardest stage of this year’s 98th edition on Tuesday, a 174 km ride beginning in Pinzolo which features six climbs including the final punt to the summit finish at Aprica.
1. Mikel Landa (ESP/AST) 4hr 22min 37sec
2. Yury Trofimov (RUS/KAT) at 02sec
3. Alberto Contador (ESP/TIN) 05
4. Fabio Aru (ITA/AST) 06
5. StevenKruijswijk (NED/LNL) 38
6. Andrey Amador (CRC/MOV) 42
7. Leopold Konig(CZE/SKY) 1:00
8. Tanel Kangert (EST/AST) 1:10
9. Alexandre Geniez (FRA/FDJ)1:49
10. Damiano Caruso (ITA/BMC) 2:13.
1. Alberto Contador (ESP/TIN) 60hr 01min 34sec
2. Fabio Aru (ITA/AST) at2:35
3. Andrey Amador (CRC/MOV) 4:19
4. Mikel Landa (ESP/AST) 4:46
5.Leopold König (CZE/SKY) 6:36
6. Yury Trofimov (RUS/KAT 6:58
7. Damiano Caruso (ITA/BMC) 7:10
8. Maxime Monfort (BEL/LOT) 8:20
9. Giovanni Visconti (ITA/MOV) 9:53
10.Alexandre Geniez (FRA/FDJ) 10:03