Westra Triumphs in Panne-Koksijde
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Mar 31, 2016 – Dutchman Lieuwe Westra won the Three Days of De Panne on Thursday, beating defending champion Alexander Kristoff by 13 seconds overall.
Westra finished fourth in the concluding time trial, after Marcel Kittel had taken the victory in the 111km first part of stage three earlier in the day by beating Kristoff and Phil Bauhaus in a sprint.
RELATED: Viviani Cleans Up Kittel and Kristoff
In the second part of the final day, Pole Maciej Bodnar edged out Tony Martin to win the 14.2km time-trial in De Panne. Katusha man Kristoff went into the final stage seven seconds clear of Alexey Lutsenko and 12 ahead of Westra, but Astana’s Westra did enough to overhaul the Norwegian, who finished down in eighth.
Kazakh Lutsenko had to settle for seventh in the time-trial and third overall, 16 seconds adrift of champion Westra.
Final kilometers of Stage 3a
Final kilometers of Stage 3b
Results Stage 3b:
1. Maciej Bodnar (Pol) Tinkoff Team 0:17:39
2. Tony Martin (Ger) Etixx – Quick-Step
3. Tom Bohli (Swi) BMC Racing Team
4. Lieuwe Westra (Ned) Astana Pro Team 0:00:03
5. Johan Le Bon (Fra) FDJ 0:00:19
6. Sylvain Chavanel (Fra) Direct Energie 0:00:22
7. Alexey Lutsenko (Kaz) Astana Pro Team 0:00:24
8. Alexander Kristoff (Nor) Team Katusha 0:00:28
9. Stefan Kueng (Swi) BMC Racing Team 0:00:29
10. Luke Durbridge (Aus) Orica-GreenEdge 0:00:31
1. Lieuwe Westra (Ned) Astana Pro Team 12:08:19
2. Alexander Kristoff (Nor) Team Katusha 0:00:13
3. Alexey Lutsenko (Kaz) Astana Pro Team 0:00:16
4. Tony Martin (Ger) Etixx – Quick-Step 0:00:35
5. Sylvain Chavanel (Fra) Direct Energie 0:00:59
6. Luke Durbridge (Aus) Orica-GreenEdge 0:01:04
7. Stefan Kueng (Swi) BMC Racing Team 0:01:06
8. Mads Pedersen (Den) Stölting Service Group 0:01:19
9. Nils Politt (Ger) Team Katusha
10. Johan Le Bon (Fra) FDJ
RELATED: Help say farewell to Fabian Cancellara and win a Trek Project One bike in the process!–