Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Feb 18, 2016 – Norwegian Alexander Kristoff won the third stage of the Tour of Oman in a sprint finish on Thursday, comfortably beating Dutchman Moreno Hofland and Belgian Roy Jans to the line.
AFP/Kåre Dehlie Thorstad
Katusha man Kristoff’s season has started in a remarkably similar vein to last year, with replicate wins on stages two, four and five in Qatar, before this victory after a 176.5km ride to Naseem Park.
His compatriot Edvald Boasson Hagen, who was unlucky to lose the overall title in Qatar to Dimension Data team-mate Mark Cavendish, still leads the overall standings by four seconds from former Tour de France champion Vincenzo Nibali.
Friday’s 177km fourth stage will see the peloton tackle an uphill finish on the “green mountain”, which is likely to be crucial in deciding the General Classification.
Final kilometers of Stage 3
Results Stage 3:
1. Alexander Kristoff (Nor) Team Katusha 4:03:22
2. Moreno Hofland (Ned) Team LottoNl-Jumbo
3. Roy Jans (Bel) Wanty – Groupe Gobert
4. Mike Teunissen (Ned) Team LottoNl-Jumbo
5. Jean-Pierre Drucker (Lux) BMC Racing Team
6. Zico Waeytens (Bel) Team Giant-Alpecin
7. Berden De Vries (Ned) Roompot – Oranje Peloton
8. Robin Stenuit (Bel) Wanty – Groupe Gobert
9. Daniel Oss (Ita) BMC Racing Team
10. Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Dimension Data
1. Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Dimension Data 11:52:53
2. Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:04
3. Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) BMC Racing Team 0:00:06
4. Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale
5. Serge Pauwels (Bel) Dimension Data 0:00:08
6. Rui Costa (Por) Lampre – Merida 0:00:10
7. Jakob Fuglsang (Den) Astana Pro Team
8. Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale
9. Davide Rebellin (Ita) CCC Sprandi Polkowice
10. Patrick Konrad (Aut) Bora-Argon 18 0:00:16