Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
AFP / Yuzuru Sunada
Italy’s Matteo Trentin won Thursday’s sixth stage of the Tour of Switzerland as his German team-mate Tony Martin retained the leader’s yellow jersey. Omega Pharma rider Trentin won a sprint finish ahead of fellow Italians Daniele Bennati and Francesco Gavazzi after the 192.8km ride from Buren an der Aare to Delemont. The 24-year-old, who picked up a Tour de France stage win at Lyon last year, had team-mate Martin to thank after the triple world time-trial champion led the peloton into the final kilometers, which set up Trentin for his dash for victory. Slovak rider Peter Sagan had controlled the sprint only to be overtaken in the final metres as he finished fifth.
“I attacked 200m from the line, and I knew I had a chance because that is a good distance for me,” said Trentin.
The seventh stage will be a 24.5km time-trial around Worb, near Berne, and will give Martin a chance to protect or increase his overall lead before two mountain stages and the race finish on Sunday.
Tour de Suisse Stage 6
1. Matteo Trentin (ITA/OPQ) 4:43:19
2. Daniele Bennati (ITA/TIN) same time
3. Francesco Gavazzi (ITA/AST) s.t.
4. Ben Swift (GBR/SKY)
5. Peter Sagan (SVK/CAN)
6. Sacha Modolo (ITA/LAM)
7. Jose Joaquin Rojas (ESP/MOV)
8. Silvan Dillier (SWI/BMC)
9. Sergio Henao (COL/SKY)
10. Tosh Van der Sande (BEL/LTB)
General Classification After Stage 6
1. Tony Martin (GER/OPQ) 23:11:06
2. Tom Dumoulin (NED/GIA) @ :06
3. Peter Sagan (SVK/CAN) @ :10
4. Bauke Mollema (NED/BKN) @ :17
5. Tom Slagter (NED/GRM) @ :23
6. Davide Formolo (ITA/CAN) @ :27
7. Jon Izagirre (ESP/MOV) @ s.t.
8. Roman Kreuziger (CZE/TIN) @ :28
9. Mathias Frank (SWI/IAM) @ :29
10. Mattia Cattaneo (ITA/LAM) @ s.t.