Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
May 01, 2014 – Italian Elia Viviani edged out Briton Mark Cavendish in a sprint finish to win the fifth stage of the Tour of Turkey in Bodrum on Thursday. Estonia’s Rein Taaramae maintained his lead in the overall standings following the 178km run from Marmaris.
Cannondale’s Viviani denied Cavendish a fourth stage victory in this 50th edition of the race after coming off the OPQS rider’s wheel in the finale. Italy’s Kristian Sbaragli was third. Young Briton Adam Yates is second in the overall classification at six
seconds with Frenchman Romain Hardy 38sec back.
Nine riders took off in the day’s successful breakaway and at one point counted a gap of more than five minutes to the peloton. But they were hauled in less than 10km from the finish, after which it was up to the sprinters. Friday’s sixth stage takes the peloton over a hilly 182km from Bodrum to Selcuk.
Stage Five Results:
1. Elia Viviani (ITA/Cannondale) 4hr 34min 11sec
2. Mark Cavendish (GBR/Omega) same time
3. Kristian Sbaragli (ITA/MTN) s.t.
4. Andrea Fedi (ITA/NRI) s.t.
5. Danilo Napolitano (ITA/WGG) s.t.
Overall Standings after Six Stages:
1. Rein Taaramae (EST/CQF) 20hr 35min 5sec
2. Adam Yates (GBR/OGE) at 6sec
3. Romain Hardy (FRA/Cofidis) 38
4. Merhawi Kurdus (ERI/MTN) s.t.
5. Luis-Leon Sanchez Gil (ESP/CJR) s.t.